Works In Progress

Finished Mathings Hat March 2016

I managed to finish my hat over the Easter weekend. It’s called the Mathings Hat by SL McDonald and you can find a link to the pattern HERE.  It’s one of those patterns that looks a lot more complicated to do than it actually is; I really like how it has turned out, particularly the crown.  The pattern suggests a stretchy cast-on and provides links to learn an Alternative Cable Cast On, however, with limited time I just opted for a loose cast on rather than learn a new method. The ribbing around the brim is also a bit more interesting than usual as you need to knit through the back loop, creating a twisted stitch, and purl. The main body of the hat is created by doing either knit, purl, purl2tog or kfb rows.

20160324_084528-1
The hat before I blocked it

It was all going very well and I liked the finished result – one of those hats that feels springy and snuggly.  But then I decided to block it and disaster struck. Ok, in the grand scheme of things it wasn’t really a disaster, but, you know, perspective kind of goes out of the window when it comes to things I’ve spent time making (just me?).  I had stuck the hat in a sink of hot water with some special wool wash, feeling really very impressed with myself. When I pulled it out about half an hour later – I had gotten distracted feeding the baby – I thought it seemed like it had stretched.  So I rolled it up in a towel to try to remove some of the water and then tried it on.  Cue a cry that had my husband running for the kitchen because he thought something awful had happened. Nope, just that the hat covered my entire face when I put it on.  Suffice to say, I was a bit upset.

20160324_141759-1
A bit bigger than intended

The moral of the story, however, is to try not to panic unnecessarily.  Once I had actually let it dry properly – which is really what I should have done in the first place – it had shrunk  back to near enough the original size and fitted my head again (see below).  It’s still a bit on the loose side around the rim but is not in immediate danger of falling off, which I find is always a good thing in your headwear.  A couple of people on my Facebook page have made good suggestions as to how I might fix the looseness; either using a brooch or threading through some shirring elastic  – I have absolutely no idea how to do the latter, so if anyone has any tips then please let me know!

20160327_152140-1
It fits  – yay!

So, has anyone else ever had any blocking disasters? That perhaps like mine turned out to not be so much a disaster as a case of premature panic?

 

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Finished Mathings Hat March 2016

  1. On the wrong side of the hat, thread a sewing needle (elastic is usually thin enough that you will need a sewing needle, not a tapestry needle), and weave elastic through the wrong side of the brim, like you would weave in your yarn ends. Try to go around the whole brim, and pull it a little tighter, than you would when you do your yarn ends.

    When you decide to wash it again- the brim should stay that smaller size once it dries.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s